P.M. Forni the author of the book The Civility Solution will be a speaker at our next development program for employees at the library. His book is interesting and offers a guide to being civil in our lives.
1. Slow down and be present in your life.
2. Listen to the voice of empathy.
3. Keep a positive attitude.
4. Respect others and grant them plenty of validation.
5. Disagree graciously and refrain from arguing.
6. Get to know the people around you.
7. Pay attention to the small things.
8. Ask, don’t tell.
Forni also offers a litany of scenarios and the civil solution that should follow. These situations are particularly helpful when dealing with rude people. Most of the information he provides seems like common sense to a person who has manners but so many of us forget our manners. I think it could be the situation. For example some when some people get into their cars they turn into a completely different animal…..a raging one. Or perhaps someone is mad and writes you an email saying things they would never say to you in person. Personally I think many children are not taught manners and don’t see civility in their homes.. Young people don’t know how to treat others or have good manners unless someone teaches them and most importantly practices them.